An active group of Honorary Officers assist with various tasks in and around the reserve, which is managed by Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife (ex Natal Parks Board). The group operates under the umbrella of EKZN Wildlife and reports to the reserve manager – work done by the Honorary Officers is voluntary.
Some of the tasks with which the HO’s assist are:
- Guided walks
- Snare Patrols
- Alien identification and eradication
- Hospitality at the picnic sites during busy periods
- Environmental awareness and education
- Monitoring of specific species within the reserve and surrounding areas – eg dassie, dwarf chameleon, vervet monkeys, raptors
- Fenceline inspections
- This website, providing information on the reserve and other relevant topics
HO duties generally exclude hard physical labour and are therefore suitable for people from all age groups. More information on joining the EKZNW HO’s can be found at the EKZNW Honorary Officer website.
The HO group meet on the last Wednesday of each month at 19h00 at the Interpretative Centre. If you would like to attend a meeting or want more information about becoming a Honorary Officer at Krantzkloof, please contact us.