In terms of the REGULATIONS FOR THE PROPER ADMINISTRATION OF NATURE RESERVES, 2012 to the NATIONAL ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT: PROTECTED AREAS ACT 57 of 2003; it must be noted that:
Section 7(2) – The Management Authority must prominently display a Protected Area Notice at every entrance to a recreation area indicating (a) the opening and closing times of that recreation area or nature reserve; and (b) any internal rules made by the management authority in relation to that recreation area or nature reserve.
- No person may enter or leave the Krantzkloof Nature Reserve at any place other than through the designated points of entry or exit or enter, leave or travel in the nature reserve at any time other than the times determined by the Management Authority.
- Any person who enters the Krantzkloof Nature Reserve must display or be in possession of proof of entry in a manner determined by the management authority.
- No person may overnight, camp or reside in the Krantzkloof Nature Reserve.
- No person may allow any dog, cat or any other pet belonging to or under the care of that person to enter into the Krantzkloof Nature Reserve.
- No firearms allowed in Krantzkloof Nature Reserve.
- No person may within the Krantzkloof Nature Reserve –
- intentionally or negligently cause pollution, place, throw, dump or let out any refuse, rubbish, used containers, effluent, toilet waste or any objectionable matter in areas other than those areas designated for this purpose by the management authority;
- deposit or leave any litter which is either industrial or domestic, regardless of whether that litter is biodegradable or non-biodegradable, except in an area or receptacle provided for that purpose; (this rule specifically prohibits Geocaching within the Reserve)
- deface cultural heritage resources;
- operate any motorised vehicle for recreational purposes; (quad or motorbike)
- launch or propel, missile or flare into the airspace above a nature reserve unless such activity is a bona fide emergency;
- ignite or use any fireworks;
- intentionally or negligently cause a fire other than at a place where the making of a fire is permitted;
- unlawfully occupy, move into, inhabit or use any existing land, building or structure;
- at any time play any radio, compact disc player, music system, musical instrument or in any way whatsoever cause any noise in a manner that is likely to disturb any species or specimen or other person;
- feed any species or specimen in the nature reserve;
- behave in an offensive, improper, indecent or disorderly manner; or
- interfere with any management authority staff member undertaking his or her duties.
- No person may within the Krantzkloof Nature Reserve, except with the prior written authorization of a Management Authority –
- introduce any specimen, or part thereof into the nature reserve;
- convey, move or otherwise translocate any specimen in the nature reserve;
- intentionally disturb any species or specimen in the nature reserve;
- cut, damage, remove or destroy or be in possession of any plant or any part thereof, including dry wood or firewood in the nature reserve;
- hunt, catch, capture or kill, possess or exercise physical control over any living specimen by any means, method or device whatsoever, including searching, pursuing, driving, lying in wait, luring, alluring, discharging a missile or injuring with intent to hunt, catch, capture or kill any such specimen in the nature reserve;
- gather, collect, pick parts of, or cut, chop off, uproot, damage or destroy or remove any specimen in the nature reserve;
- sell or otherwise trade in, buy, receive, give, or in any way acquire or dispose of any specimen in the nature reserve;
- angle, attempt to angle, catch or attempt to catch fish in the nature reserve other than in an area designated for such purpose;
- carry out any scientific research in the nature reserve;
- engage in the sport of climbing rock faces;
- engage in the sport of parachuting or abseiling;
- use a hang glider or any other kind of glider;
- launch or fly a hot air balloon;
- fly model planes, drones or gliders;
- engage in sport of any kind, formal or informal except for trail running;
- use or cause to be used, any loud speaker or similar device or other noisy equipment;
- construct or erect any booth, marquee or other structure;
- land in the nature reserve using any aircraft.
- No person driving a vehicle in the Krantzkloof Nature Reserve may-
- drive, park, or stop in such a manner that constitutes a nuisance, disturbance, inconvenience or danger to any other person;
- drive, park or stop in any manner that causes an obstruction, blocks the pathway of a management operation or emergency vehicle;
- park a vehicle in a place other than in a place designated for that purpose by a management authority;
- drive or park anywhere except on a designated road or place;
- damage or act in a manner that could cause damage of any nature whatsoever, including but not limited to, damage to a road, plants or animals;
- drive or operate any vehicle in a reckless or negligent manner or in a deliberate or intentional disregard for the safety of any person, species, specimen or property of whatever nature; or
- drive a vehicle off-road or off designated roads or tracks, except in an area set aside by the management authority for that purpose.
- Any person who –
- contravenes or fails to comply with any provisions of these Rules or Regulations;
- fails to comply with any Protected Area Notice or any internal rule, or other document issued or displayed in terms of these Regulations;
- fails to comply with any lawful instruction, prohibition, rule or order given, imposed or issued in terms of an internal rule or these Regulations; or
- obstructs or hinders any authorised official in the execution of his or her duties under these Regulations; or
- contravenes a condition mentioned in a written authorisation or agreement issued or entered into in terms of these Regulations;
is guilty of an offence and liable, in the case of a first conviction, to a fine not exceeding R5 million or imprisonment for a period not exceeding five years and, in the case of a second or subsequent conviction, to a fine not exceeding R10 million or imprisonment for a period not exceeding ten years or in both instances to both a fine and such imprisonment.
* All rules can be found in the Regulations for the Proper Administration of Nature Reserves,
Sections 8, 19, 20 to 26, 33 to 37, 42, 45 to 48 and sections 51 to 54.